Fox Auto Parts in Bellevue, Michigan!
Joe Fox, Bill Fox, and Bob Fox
We currently have 25 acres, process around 900 vehicles annually, and run 4 dismantling bays. We run a pre-dismantle facility, so we have 2 full-time dismantlers and 1 dismantler/production flex employee. Every vehicle gets dismantled on arrival, and all parts that would require a loader or dismantler’s bay are pulled at that time, allowing any of our 5 production staff to go out to the vehicles and pull the remaining inventoried parts as they are sold. But with all engines, transmissions and suspensions already pulled and put away, it is a much easier time to pull the remaining parts. Our production staff are on a ‘Start to finish’ system, where they sign on to the part, pull the part, prep the part ,and package the part for delivery, so we can maintain a higher level of accountability for the quality of our parts.
Number of employees:
We currently staff 7 salesmen, 2 dismantlers, 5 production and 4 drivers.
In 1973, we started off with a small facility in Ypsilanti, Michigan, with the desire to provide top quality used auto parts at a reasonable price with five-star customer service to the Metro Detroit area. Today, we still service the greater Metro Detroit area, but there have been many changes to improve our family owned business.
In 1985 we moved to a state-of-the-art facility located on 25 acres in Belleville, Michigan. Our inventory is now completely computerized, photographed, and inspected. We have over 50,000 ft. of storage space and process over 800 vehicles a year. We are a family-owned business in the 2nd generation with the 3rd generation quickly coming up.
How long a Team PRP member?
We’ve been a PRP member since 2012.
Industry association affiliations:
Fox Auto Parts is a proud member of Automotive Recyclers Association, United Recyclers Group and Auto Recyclers of Michigan as well as Team PRP
How have you grown over the years?
In 2008, we opened a full-service department with 12 service bays staffed by ASE and state certified technicians that perform all repairs from brake jobs to engine replacements. This past summer, we were proud to open Fox Auto U-Pull, a U-pull yard located right next to our full service yard, so that we can help service more customers. We are always looking for ways to grow and improve our business and look forward to what the years ahead will bring.
What’s special about your company? What differentiates you from the rest of the industry?
We are committed to being as efficient as possible, and we try to stay ahead of the curve. We try to regularly go over everything from how we load trucks in the morning, to how we place vehicles in the yard, to make things run as smoothly as possible. We’re also very customer service oriented; we try to help every customer to the best of our abilities and get them the parts they need as quickly as possible.
TEAM PRP’S RECYCLER OF THE MONTH: Higgins Auto Parts in Bakersfield, CA!
• Owners: Phillip & Larry Ball, Tim Austin & Bryan Meyer
• Facility Info: 10 acres; 500-600 cars per year; two dismantling bays. We have an 8,000-pound Mitsubishi forklift/loader, one 8,000 Mitsubishi forklift/loader (great loader for import and small cars), one 3,000 lb Mitsubishi forklift, one 3,500-pound Clark forklift, one 16-foot Isuzu NPR box truck, one 18-foot Isuzu NPR box truck, one short bed Toyota pickup, and one Chevrolet 2500 stake bed. Our parts pullers utilize EzGo golf carts with fully equipped toolboxes and a tow behind generator for body cuts. A classic Nissan 720 pickup is the facility workhorse. Our engines, transmissions, suspension and many other parts are scrubbed clean with a heated pressure washer and our waste2water system (which we highly recommend) handles all the containments and recycling from that process.
• Number of employees: 15 total—Three sales employees, one sales supervisor, two dismantlers, two parts pullers, two delivery drivers, one shipping supervisor, one quality control/facility maintenance supervisor, Vice President Production (Production Supervisor, Buying, Inventory), Vice President Finance (Buying, Bookkeeping, Administration), and President (Sales Manager, HR, Marketing)
• Company History: Dexter Higgins (Larry Ball’s father-in-law and Phillip Ball’s grandfather) founded Higgins Auto Parts in 1951, so this is a third generation business. Dexter passed at age 96 in 2011. Larry Ball is still the majority shareholder, but he has been enjoying semi-retirement for the last several years. Phillip Ball is President, Tim Austin and Bryan Meyer are Vice Presidents.
• How long a Team PRP member? Since the Fall of 2007.
• Industry association affiliations: ARA – CAR Certified and Gold member; State of California Auto Dismantlers Association, Partners in the Solution Certified.
• How have you grown over the years? “In the 50s and 60s, Higgins Used Cars and Auto Wrecking was an automotive oasis along the main north-south artery that spans the length of California on Highway 99. In those days, Dexter Higgins, operating as a sole proprietor, offered just about every type of automotive service: auto repair, towing, parts and used cars. When the second generation (Mr. Higgins’ son-in-law) purchased the entire interest of the company from the founder in 1981, it was Larry Ball’s decision to shed some of the periphery businesses in order to focus on the used parts business. He purchased his first rudimentary computer system in 1985, which was a good start, but the company really started evolving in 1989, when the Hollander Yard Management system was implemented to control inventory and manage sales. With Larry Ball, it has always been looking forward, never back. We joined Team PRP in the fall of 2007, installed Pinnacle Professional in April of 2009, and in 2011, and we started attending the Counts Consulting profit meetings. Larry Ball fully retired in the fall of 2013 at the age of 69.”
• What’s special about your company? What differentiates you from the rest of the industry? “At Higgins Auto Parts, we believe that quality does not only define the products that we deliver, we strive to incorporate quality into everything that we do and everything that we are. Most businesses tout that they have the ability to deliver quality products and services, but how about quality communication or uncommon integrity? The difference at Higgins Auto Parts is that we understand that anyone can deliver a good product and many can deliver an excellent product or service, but how many competitors can deliver sincerity? Trust? Honesty? At Higgins Auto Parts we see the value in tying quality to every action we take and provide value in every part we sell. Team PRP has been an excellent fit for our business and standards, at Higgins Auto Parts we truly feel at home among the Team PRP family. “
• Website: http://www.higginsauto.com/
Snyder’s Certified Auto and Truck Parts
The old saying, “Everything is bigger in Texas!” could well apply to this month’s Team PRP Recycler of the Month—Snyder’s Certified Auto and Truck Parts.
The family-owned and -operated business was started by Ralph Snyder and his oldest son, Dan, in 1988. At that time, Ralph was leaving the construction business, and Dan was a new college graduate. In 1994, Ralph’s middle son, Andy, joined in, while the youngest son, Travis, joined them later, in 2002. Ralph’s oldest daughter, Bonnie Garcia serves as Snyder’s CFO, as well as for their self-service operations (Wrench-a-Part).
Snyder’s employs 55 people at their Holland, TX location, with approximately 100 more employees working at the three Wrench-a-Part locations found in Austin, Belton, and Lubbock, TX.
The Holland location processes about 2400 vehicles annually on their 37-acre property, while the three Wrench-a-Part locations—on a total of just over 100 acres—process approximately 24,000 additional vehicles annually.
Snyder’s specializes in high-quality late model salvage, and prides themselves on excellent customer service and accurate inventory. Their Wrench-a-Part locations are particularly modern and clean facilities, boasting a large volume of self-service vehicles to choose from.
The Automotive Recyclers Association (ARA) awarded Snyder’s their “Car Star Award” in 2010, and in the same year, they were selected as a finalist in the Baylor University Small Business of the Year awarding. Additionally, they were pleased to have been the recipient of a “Team PRP Quality Control Award.”
In 1999, Dan and Andy Snyder accepted an invitation from Barry Rubin and Mike Kunkel to join the original Part Source of Texas trading group. This group pioneered the trailering system that is now the hallmark of Team PRP.
Dan, who serves as Snyder’s general manager, stated that he attributes much of their success to partnering with Team PRP, as well as to being a long-standing member of the Counts Owner Groups (Profit Teams).
RECYCLER OF THE MONTH:
Grand Valley Auto Parts, Inc.
The latest to be named our Team PRP Recycler of the Month is Grand Valley Auto Parts, Inc. in Jenison, Michigan!
Grand Valley is a third-generation, family business, originally opened in 1967 by Loren Allen. His nine children all helped with that business in its early years, but it was son Brian Allen who took a special interest in it and eventually purchased that business from his father in 1992.
While Brian still oversees the operation, two of his children—daughter Jennifer McDonald (Office Manager) and a son, Mitch Allen (Production Manager)—are gradually taking over the operations with the intention of purchasing the business from their father.
With 13 employees, the facility continues to grow. In the last year, a second dismantler and a second sales representative were added, with a third dismantler and third sales rep to be added soon.
The Grand Valley facility is state-of-the-art. A 12,000-square-foot energy-efficient building was added in more recent years, and their original 24,000-square-foot building remains, serving as a shipping and receiving area.
Grand Valley is URG8000, MICAR (Michigan Certified Auto Recycler), and MICAR Plus certified. They value their many industry associations, something that Brian Allen put into practice from the time he took over the company.
Jennifer served as the Team PRP Midwest Secretary for nearly two years, and now serves on the Team PRP Marketing Committee. “We believe in Team PRP and are very proud to be members! While we are one of the smaller members of the network the value of quality part vendors, trustworthy partners, networking opportunities, freight capabilities, training programs, access to remans and Profit Team participation has far outweighed the costs and is helping us grow!”
Grand Valley Auto Parts, Inc. website: http://www.grandvalleyautoparts.com
Kosiski Auto Parts, Inc., in Omaha, Nebraska becomes our newest Team PRP Recycler of the Month!
When asked how many employees work at Kosiski, president and owner, Joe Kosiski, was quick to reply, “Twenty-three GREAT employees!” In learning about their business, it became readily apparent that this was a business run with great pride and a strong sense of teamwork and professionalism.
Owned and founded jointly by three Kosiski brothers—Joe, Steve and Ed—Kosiski’s was formerly “Williams Auto Parts” in 1975. At that time, their father, Bob Kosiski, purchased the property and started the business along with his sons. In 1980, they renamed the business and rebuilt their facility on new property.
In addition to their 8-acre facility, which holds about 850 cars, they own A-1 Crashed Cars, a You-Pull-It location in South Sioux City, Nebraska.
Today, a number of family members work with Kosiski’s, including Joe’s daughter (Lisa Leighton) and son (Andrew Kosiski), as well as two nephews—Robby, who acts as their production manager, and Brian, who works in scrapping. Bob Kosiski is no longer an owner, but remains involved there.
In addition to a number of “Best of Omaha” awards over the years, Joe Kosiski was pleased to mention their Team PRP Top Dog award winners; Gary Pinneo (Sales Manager), won first place with last year’s Top Dog awards, and just last week, Andrew Kosiski won third place in this year’s awards group.
Clearly proud of the Kosiski team, Joe added, “We have a great crew here, and without them, we wouldn’t be where we are at. We’ve got a lot of heart with our crew!”
Last updated by Newsletter Apr 19.